As well as caring for our residents and team, Jasmine also aims to care for the environment, in line with our Values.
Here are just some of the steps we have already taken to achieve this aspiration across our portfolio of homes:
- Insulated all roofs and walls wherever possible
- Replaced all windows with the warmest modern double glazed units in the style of the original architecture
- Replaced all our gas boilers with the latest energy efficient boilers available on the market
- Replaced all our lighting with the most efficient modern LED lighting whilst ensuring that it all remains warm and homely
- Installed movement sensors to control the lighting in all back-of-house areas and corridors
- Installed significant arrays of solar panels at all our homes. These are tastefully integrated into the roofs of our homes, so that they are as discreet as possible. These solar panels supply around half of our electricity requirements on average throughout the year
Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)
As a result of our energy conservation efforts, all our homes have already achieved an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Rating of either B or C, despite, in some instances, being based around buildings that are over 200 years old.
Our aspiration is that all our homes will ultimately achieve at least an EPC Rating of B. More ambitious still, we are aiming to be carbon neutral by 2030; 20 years before the UK has committed to do so in 2050, which is before any other developed country in the world.
In order to achieve this we are currently actively researching the installation of the following technologies across all of our homes:
- Ground and air source heat pumps
- Solar Thermal panels
- Battery storage
Other Actions to Improve the Environment
In addition to seeking to reduce our homes’ energy consumption as much as possible we are also doing all of the following to care for the environment:
- We recycle as much of our day to day waste as possible having identified the most environmentally friendly commercial waste collection services operating near to each of our homes
- We recycle all our used cooking oil with regular collections of our discarded oil
- We have installed electric vehicle charging points, which are free to use for all our team and visitors. The rationale for this is to encourage all our team and visitors to embrace the electric car revolution. This also reduces the environmental impact of some of the necessary travelling that our central management team need to do in order to regularly support our homes. One member of the Jasmine Support Team currently has an electric car and the aspiration is that they all do by the end of 2020
- We have installed water saving devices throughout our homes to significantly reduce our water usage